For the cornbread
- 1 cup milk or nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup cornmeal, preferably medium grind
- 1 cup Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour or your favorite flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup corn kernels (about 2 ears corn), plus more for topping
- ¼ cup coarsely-crushed corn flakes, plus more for topping
For the butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter or nondairy buttery sticks, slightly softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
1. Make the cornbread: Preheat the oven to 350° and place a 9-inch cast iron skillet inside to heat while you make the batter. In a small bowl, stir together the milk and vinegar. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the milk mixture, eggs and oil until just blended; fold in the corn kernels and corn flakes.
2. Grease the bottom and sides of the hot skillet, then pour the batter into the prepared pan; bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool before cutting.
3. Meanwhile, make the butter: In the bowl of a food processor, add the butter, honey, cinnamon, orange zest and a pinch of salt; pulse to combine. Add the blueberries until mashed and mostly combined. Scoop into a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.