Yield: 12 Brownies
For the Crust
- 2 1/2 cups raw walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups Erewhon Rice Twice Cereal
- 4 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt
For the Brownies
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup Erewhon Rice Twice cereal
- 1/4 cup teff flour
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs, preferably organic
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup juice sweetened dried cranberries
For the Topping
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid vanilla stevia
- 1 1/2 cups Erewhon Rice Twice cereal
- Grease an 8-inch x 8-inch baking pan with coconut oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the walnuts in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until walnuts are in small pieces but not finely ground. Add the Rice Twice Cereal, dates, coconut oil, and salt. Process until a crust form. The dough should form a ball in the food processor.
- Press the crust into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 20 – 22 minutes, until the crust is lightly golden brown and puffed slightly. Carefully remove from the oven.
- While the crust is baking, make the brownies
- Put the coconut oil and chopped chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in-between until both are melted. Set aside.
- Put the coconut palm sugar, Rice Twice Cereal, and teff flour in the bowl of the food processor fitted with a steel blade. It’s not necessary to wash the food processor after making the crust. Just throw the ingredients right on in. Process until the Rice Twice Cereal is ground to a powder.
- Add the applesauce, eggs, vanilla, salt, and melted coconut oil and chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients in the food processor. Pulse several times then process just until combined. Add in the cranberries and give the food processor a couple of pulses to mix them in.
- Pour the brownie batter over the hot crust and return to the oven for another 20 – 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Put on a baking rack to cool.
- While the brownies cool, make the topping.
- Put the cocoa butter and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in-between, until melted. Whisk in the cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla stevia.
- Cool the cocoa butter mixture in the refrigerator for 15 – 20 minutes, whisking once or twice. If the mixture becomes very thick, return to the microwave for 10 seconds.
- The cocoa butter mixture should be pourable. Combine with the Rice Twice Cereal and stir until coated. Turn the chocolate covered cereal onto the top of the cooled brownies. Spread the cereal mixture across the top of the brownies then lightly press it into the brownies with the back of a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until set, before serving. Store brownies in the refrigerator.
Source: Amy Green