Yield: 4-6 Servings
For the Oven Fried Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, broken down into 8 pieces, or 8 meaty pieces of chicken
- 4 1/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk, from a carton, divided juice from 2 lemons, about 1/4 cup
- 3 teaspoons kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika, divided
- 3 cups Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Gluten-Free cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 large egg
For the Kale-Carrot Slaw
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 cup grated carrots, about 3 medium
- 1/2 cup raisins or juice-sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil, or other neutral flavored oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch or two of powdered stevia (optional)
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry. Set aside.
- Whisk together 4 cups coconut milk, lemon juice, 1 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon paprika. The coconut milk will curdle when mixed with the lemon juice. It’s okay; proceed with the recipe.
- Put the chicken in a gallon-sized zip-top bag or in a bowl. Pour the coconut milk mixture over the chicken. Make sure that all of the chicken is covered. Seal the bag or cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put the Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Gluten-Free cereal in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until roughly ground. There should still be some larger pieces of cereal.
- Put the ground cereal in a large, flat bowl Add the black pepper, thyme, and remaining one teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and remaining 1/4 cup coconut milk.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place a baking rack on the baking sheet.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, gently rinse, and pat dry.
- Dip both sides of one piece of chicken in the egg mixture, shake off excess liquid, and dip both sides of the piece of chicken in the cereal mixture. Place the coated chicken on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken, making sure that individual chicken pieces don’t touch.
- Bake for 45 – 55 minutes, until the dark meat, reaches 185 degrees Fahrenheit and the white meat reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. The chicken will be lightly golden brown.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Wash the kale thoroughly, pat dry, and remove any tough stems. Cut kale into shreds. Combine shredded kale with grated carrots and raisins.
- Whisk together the grapeseed oil, lemon juice, sea salt, pepper and powdered stevia if using. Pour the dressing over the kale and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until served. Salad will stay fresh for several days.
Source: Amy Green