- 4-1/2 cups (about 1-1/4 lbs) peeled butternut squash chunks* (3/4-inch cubes)
- 2-1/2 cups (about 3/4 lb) apple chunks** (3/4-inch)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, divided***
- 1 tablespoon flour, any type (I use brown rice flour)
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups Organic Cornflakes, Organic Brown Rice Cereal, SuperGrains Cereal, or any combo of these
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Place the squash and apple chunks in a 9×13-inch baking dish, and add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the sugar, 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, the flour, 3/4 to 1 teaspoon of the salt, the cinnamon, and the nutmeg, and stir to evenly coat. Using more sugar will add a touch more sweetness, while more salt will up the contrast and savory factor.
- Cover with foil, and place in the oven to bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until perfectly tender for your taste.
- After you place that in the oven, place the cereal in a Ziploc bag, and gently crush it with your hand to make very coarse crumbs.
- Combine the crushed cereal, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon of salt in a bowl.
- Spread the cereal out on a baking sheet (ideally lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper) and place it in the oven with the squash bake, allowing it to cook for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve the squash bake topped with the cereal sprinkle.
Source: Alisa Fleming