Yield: 12 large or 24 small squares
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows (can use vegan marshmallows)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Generous pinch salt
- 2 cups + 1/2 cup crumbled Erewhon Organic Graham Crackers, divided
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups Erewhon Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice Cereal (or Plain Crispy Cereal)
- 1-1/2 cups dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed or coconut oil, optional
- Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper or wax paper so that it extends over the sides.
- Place the marshmallows and 1/4 cup coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Continuously stir until the marshmallows are melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, followed by 2 cups crumbled graham crackers, and 2-1/2 cups cereal. We like them slightly heavy on the marshmallow-gooeyness side, but if you can fit more cereal in and want to, go ahead and add up to 1/2 cup more.
- Dump the marshmallow mix into the greased baking dish and spread it evenly in the pan. It will be tough to spread– we use a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper to press down and prevent it from sticking to our fingers.
- Place the chocolate chips and 2 teaspoons oil (if using, it helps to keep the chocolate a little softer at room temperature) in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute. Give a good stir. If not fully melted, heat in 15-second intervals, stirring between each interval until completely melted and smooth.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the crispy mix in your pan. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup graham crackers. Enjoy warm and gooey, or let them set-up for an hour or two.
- To serve, lift the bars out of the pan using the wax/parchment paper. Peel off the paper, place on a cutting board, and cut into squares.
We used coconut oil to keep this s'mores recipe dairy-free. I don’t recommend using dairy-free margarine, as the water moisture in it can cause your crispy squares to lose their crisp fairly quickly. Also, if you prefer to avoid gelatin, seek out vegan marshmallows or go for homemade!
Source: Alisa Fleming