- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Natural Shortening
- 1¾ cups allergen-free chocolate chips
- ¾ cup gluten-free crisped rice cereal (see tip)
- Line a 9-inch square pan with wax paper.
- Melt the shortening in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the chocolate chips and use a spoon to stir continuously while melting.
- When the mixture is completely melted, remove the pan from the heat.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Fold in the rice cereal.
- While still warm, spread the mixture in the lined pan.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. The chocolate will harden.
- Use the wax paper to lift the chocolate block from the baking dish.
- Cut or break the crisp into desired-size chunks and serve.
My favorite crisped rice cereal is Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Gluten Free cereal. It contains just three ingredients: organic brown rice, organic brown rice syrup, and sea salt. Be careful not to let the chocolate burn while it is melting.
Stir continuously and keep the heat low.