Yield: 24 Cookies
- 34 soft caramels, divided
- 3 tsp water, divided
- 1 cup Erewhon Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 5 Tbsp Earth Balance butter
- 7 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt 24 caramels + 2 tsp water over low heat. When completely melted, remove from heat and add in 1 cup Erewhon cereal. Mix well and let cool.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over low heat in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in cocoa powder and sugars. Add in yogurt, almond butter, and vanilla, stir to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt. Add cocoa mixture and stir by hand until moist. Set aside.
- Now scoop out caramel mixture by the teaspoon and roll into 24 half inch balls. Wrap the chocolate dough around the caramel balls. Place cookies on baking sheets and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 11 minutes or until almost set. Cookies will firm up as they cool on the pans for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from pans and further cool on wire rack.
- Caramel Drizzle (optional): In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 10 caramels and 1 tsp water. Drizzle warm caramel over cooled cookies.