Yield: 15-18 Cakes
Mango Lime Tartar Sauce:
- 1 Cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, plus additional for garnish
- 1/ 4 cup finely diced pickled jalapeno (mild)
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce
- ½ cup very finely diced ripe mango, plus additional for garnish
Bite-Sized Crab Cakes:
- ¼ cup very finely minced shallot (onion may be substituted)
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 Tbsp sour cream
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black Pepper
- 8 oz. Maine crab meat picked over and with excess liquid pressed out
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons finely ground Erewhon Crispy Brown rice cereal divided
- 6-8 tablespoons of light olive oil for frying
Stir together sour cream, cilantro, diced jalapeno, lime zest and juice, Sriracha, and diced mango. Set aside to let flavors mingle.
Stir together minced shallot, yolk, sour cream, zest, old Bay Seasoning, and pepper. Gently stir in crab, and 2 tablespoons of rice cereal crumbs. Chill for a few minutes up to overnight.
Pour out any liquid that may have accumulated in the bowl. Scoop rounded tablespoons of crab mixture into a pie plate holding remaining 1 ½ rice crumbs. Gently press and flip to coat, forming a small disk. Makes 15-18. Keep chilled while heating pans.
Heat two non-stick frying pans and add 3-4 tablespoons oil to each; bring to shimmering. Fry cakes in divided batches and serve, 3 per plate, with mango lime tartar sauce; garnish plates with cilantro, lime and more mango if desired.
Source: Jessie Grearson