These easy and nutritious snack balls are the perfect not-too-sweet treat to tuck into lunchboxes or to serve as an after school snack. Grated apple adds sweetness and flavor while the rice cereal offers sturdy texture and the goodness of whole grain.
Total prep time: 35 minutes
Active time: 20 minutes
Yield: 15 Balls
- 2 cups Erewhon Gluten-Free Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, plus more for rolling
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 medium Golden Delicious apple, grated on the small holes of a box grater
- ¼ cup creamy almond butter
- 2 tablespoons dark maple syrup
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the rice cereal in a plastic food storage bag and coarsely crush it using a rolling pin or heavy skillet. Transfer the coarse crumbs to a large mixing bowl. Stir in 1 cup of shredded coconut along with the cinnamon and ginger.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the grated apple, almond butter, and maple syrup. Add to the cereal mixture and knead with your hands to combine. Stir in the egg white.
Shape the dough into 15 balls about 1 – 1 ½ inches in diameter. Roll the balls in shredded coconut. Place them at least 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for about 15 minutes or until just firm to the touch. Cool completely before serving. (Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.)